Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Belle's Yellow Dress






The girl on the right played Belle in our musical!

  I made this costume for CYT’s production of Beauty & the Beast.  I looked all over but I was not able to find a pattern for Belle’s yellow dress; so I had to mix several patterns to get it just right! 

It’s actually in three pieces:  The bodice and the scalloped skirt are one piece.  Then the plain skirt underneath with an elastic waist is another part. Then a hoop skirt under all of it! I did not make the hoop skirt though.  The reason I did it this way... One: I could not make the two pieces attach without making the waist line bulky. Two: it more convenient for the fast changes during the musical.      
  

5 comments:

  1. Hi! I love your yellow Belles dress!! *-*
    I just wondered whether you take comissions? Because this is one the best versions of her dress ive seen and im would love to have one myself! :D
    I'd never be able to make a dress as good as this so I was just wondering if you were willing to make another version to sell?
    :) ~emma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Emma! It’s very nice to meet you! I’m really glad you like my dress!  To be honest, I never thought about sewing and selling my work LoL! It would also depend on what state you live in… Because when I made this dress I had to do a lot of fittings with the girl I was making it for so it would look and fit just right! If you wouldn’t mind telling me what state you live in it would really help me decide whether or not I can make it! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh! my email by the way is loremcm@aol.com
    :D ~emma

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Elizabeth!

      It's nice to meet you! I don't know if you are planning on making it yourself or getting someone else to make for you... either way I will try to help you the best I can! The dress is a two piece dress, the bodice and top skirt are one piece and the underskirt is another piece. It also has a hoop skirt under all of it but I didn't make that (you can make one if you are willing to take on the task or just take the easy route and buy one LoL). I combined two different patterns to make this dress. Here are the patterns I used:

      Bodice: Simplicity pattern #4401
      Underskirt: Simplicity pattern #2881
      The top skirt is the same pattern as the underskirt but I modified (I really don't remember I how I did it though, I just made it up as I went along LoL)

      I hope this helps you! Good luck with your play! :)

      Delete